Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Classified *PURSUIT*!!!

I have a problem, or the question is do I? I HATE competition! I completely, entirely and wholly depise comparing and competing with others. I feel it belittles us, belittles the art/ genre based on which we are comparing or competing with x, y or z. What we are doing/ trying to do/should be doing is to contribute to this world, contribute to the field that we are proficient in, and serve for the betterment of the current generation. I know, I know you must be thinking “Ohh… Okay she is yet again placed on her high moral pedestal and is all preachy!" But hey I am just serving my PURPOSE! ;)

It’s commonly said that both competition and cooperation play a significantly large role in the advancement of society, be it in the business arena or in the non-business areas. Yes true, it does. Right from the very beginning people around us continuously force us to compete, be it to improve ourselves or to improve their image in front of others at our expense. Think about it! Competition can have severe detrimental effects. I have seen people of different age groups, getting unnecessarily worried, angry and disturbed over someone else’s success. I firmly believe children/ people should be taught/try to COOPERATE rather than to COMPETE.

First of all, cooperation is, I believe an extremely important skill which needs to be instilled into our lives. We humans are gregarious animals, we will need to live with other people throughout our lives, since we will not and can not study alone, work alone, nor spend our leisure time alone. If we do not know how to effectively cooperate with our classmates, colleagues, and other family members, then we CAN very well lose our one and ONLY chance to live happily.

Furthermore, cooperation is a significant and momentous contributing aspect to the development of our society. While competition generally ends in a win-lose result, cooperation advocates that one plus one is larger than two, three or even a larger number.

For example, the competition of two people running individual businesses would ultimately lead to the result that one becomes stronger and the other fails and goes out of business. However, if they cooperate with each other successfully, they may group together to form an enterprise larger than the mere sum of the two. The more successful cooperation there is, the better the society develops.

Admittedly, competition also plays a noteworthy role in many areas. Stressed by the competition, individuals struggle to survive, and so they are forced to make improvements and develop. But should one be forced into doing things??? Is that how things should be done? Forcefully??

From the very beginning I have never felt the need to be competitive in life. I can’t follow instructions. Clearly most people in this world don’t see things MY way. For Most people COMPETITION is no laughing matter. Fair Enough! But I fail to understand who are you competing with?? Is there a definite end to this fight?

I compete with ONE person alone in this WORLD! Myself! I love the fact that I RUN my very own Private Race! HA!

No comments: