Monday, July 2, 2012

The ONLY One...

I knew... I did...

I would be lying if I said I didn't, but it's just that I am only getting used to it or should I say, getting used to it once AGAIN... But it has come as a BIG BANG on my head, just a couple of hours back when know my colleague, a MALE one at that, notices my new Hair Cut!!!! (Believe me when I say this It's not at all drastic, in fact not even a major change from my previous one). I mean it's OK if it were just a "Oh your hair looks good today!"   But what does one do, when the question is thrown at you like this.. "Neelu, who is your Hairdresser? You have been seeing her/him quite often these days haven't you? Your hair looks simply stunning" Well HE didn't stop at that, he went further on to incorporate my BOSS, rather OUR boss into this discussion where in my MANE was the MAIN attraction! Beat it!!!

It was then that I grasped that being the ONLY GIRL, in my department, Design department that is, being the Only Girl in the Section of the Office that I sit in, further still being the Only GIRL in the ENTIRE Office has some major disadvantages! I don't mind being the only one, as long as i don't have to deal with constant attention, that too in this fashion! (while having said that I do have a Receptionist at the far end of the Office, just let's just say she is "In my boss's Wonderful words" OBSOLETE!)


Surviving in an office full of MEN is an ART! An art that I had very tactfully mastered in the first two years of working as a Designer here. In fact while in school, I was among Girls all the time, I mean I studied in an ALL GIRLS school, where we girls studied in morning, the morning shift as it was called and the Boys came in the evening, the evening shift! There was absolutely NO Interaction at all! At least not for ME! Then in College, I was in a class with 35 girls and ZERO boys! LOL Can you imagine the scene!? Our class used to serve as Honey and attract all the bees, read boys, to IT, to say the very least! :P


I was in for a Pleasant SHOCK when I joined work as I had walked into an office full of men. Now, I had been forewarned that I would be the only girl in the office, so I imagined I knew what to expect – or so I thought.

There is less bitching. Men bitching is poorly constructed, they’re not naturally deceitful. Bitching still exists but it is less dedicated, more vocal, quicker to surface and thankfully, quicker to resolve. I have seen soo many people come and go, in fact in the last two years of  my 4 and half year stint at this Design House,  lots of other girls/ women have joined and left as well. In fact last month was the grand finale with Not one but TWO ladies leaving the company for good. Do I miss them?? Of course I do, I miss my dear dear Karthika, my partner in crime, so so much, and I miss my Monama, the 42 year old Hottie who got really close to my heart!  :(


But do I regret my decision to continue working in an office full of men? No, Ma’am!

In fact, the MAD house in which I work now addresses me as “the Queen” a poke I am more than okay with accepting, and it has also awarded me several professional opportunities I otherwise wouldn't have had.


                                  
I just get a few jolts here and there and I am only getting back on track being OK to putting myself out there from time to time. While working in an office full of men may not be every woman’s ideal, stepping out of the comfort zone to do so can have some definite professional advantages – not to mention, it’s DRAMA free.

Opps or should I say I am the Only DRAMA here! LOL! 

No comments: