Monday, February 14, 2011

Wanderlust!

The feeling of being with oneself and oneself alone is a very rewarding one!

What better day can I choose to write about being alone and its perks than TODAY! The 14th of February! Since the day doesn't have any significance in my life, it's only fair that I make sure that it does in a special twisted kind of way! Right?

Mind you I don't want to sound like one of them sorry SINGLES! Hell No! Actually I can’t even try to sound like them, because I am very much in love with someone, in fact the person happens to be my most desired/ preferred/ ideal person in this World! MYSELF! Lol

The other thing that I love is travelling! No it’s not like I have travelled the world or for that matter even been to all the scenic spots with my Hometown! In many ways I am a complete vestal traveller!  But then again, how could I have when I have a Mum who hates staying in hotels and thinks the TIME for us to splurge money on travelling hasn’t come! (Yup trust her to pull the strings to that BOX)

Travelling to places you haven’t been to before, being amongst new/different people, cultures, languages and food, all it intrigues me and actually makes me want to FLY SOLO!

Since I love being with myself so much, I think it would be perfect if I travelled alone! Okay When I say I want to travel alone, I am not saying that the fear and trepidation of traipsing across continents to different countries all by myself has not occurred as of now. It’s just that I think I am ready for it!

In my head, I already have this preconceived notion that traveling solo is going to be very rewarding, don’t ask how and why. I just know!

A few years back, I had to opportunity to travel to Istanbul, Turkey, with three of my friends. Yes it was indeed an absolutely fantastic trip but there was something missing! I wanted to take in every sight, sound and smell like an insatiably hungry child.

The reason why I would like to travel in the first place is to escape the four corners of my cubicle, the frightening comfort ability of a mundane daily routine, and how can I do that if I travel with my people, my comfort around me??

Yes I have also thought about the innumerous comments and protests made by my family and friends, who would definitely tell me things like my plans were impossible and unsafe, and that I was “only a girl.” I am prepared for all that and even more determined to prove them wrong!

I have mentally written down why I want to travel alone, a couple of times before and now I feel I should put them down on paper to show increased fervor and fortitude in GOING FOR IT alone!

Travelling along I will be able to taste-test a wide array of cuisines from the local market without someone curling up their nose in disgust; and then again I won’t have anyone forcing me to eat anything I would rather not try.

The time I lay my head on the pillow or decide when to rise shall be completely my prerogative. There would be no need to sacrifice any plan for the sake of compromise.

I will be responsible to no one but myself. Every wrong turn or misstep is mine – and mine alone. I am looking at precisely these challenges to make sure that I am stronger.

I know for a fact that loneliness is inevitable, but the mere thought of the quiet solitude of travelling alone has led to my deepest insights about my own nature and would give me time to study the realities of others.

The sensation of being connected in a world so vast can and will help me revel in the long-lost freedom of becoming ‘one’ with the landscape. As Big B puts it, it would be just Main aur Meri Tanhaayi, no artificial, painful dialogue; rather I will be able to withdraw into the deepest recesses of my mind and imagination.

I want to become a sponge, absorbing every detail and sensation of a new location. It is one of my biggest dreams to spread my wings, and soar above and beyond my (as well as a few other’s) greatest hopes and dreams. The intensity of aloneness magnifies this privilege and it also shows how selfish I am, wanting to enjoy everything for myself! How Perfect! :P

4 comments:

PRAAN said...

Nice Blog , I echo your thoughts been to a couple of short trips alone which was very memorable

Neelanchana Kumar said...

Thank you Praan! :D

As much as I love, want and wish to... I havent had the wonderful opportunity to do so yet... :)

Unknown said...

A perfect write-up... nicely put and enjoyed as well... Being a male myself, I had the "privilege" of traveling alone to unknown places... and I whole heartedly solemnize the feelings and reasons which u ve given here for enjoying one's wanderlust. I am thankful to you... This one is mind-opener. Keep up your gud work. :) My wishes.

Neelanchana Kumar said...

Thank you soo much Jayesh! I appreciate it! :D and I do *Envy* you on your priviledge... :) :)