Monday, November 14, 2011

ARR... ARR... ARR!

In my previous *Writer's Block Breaking* blog entry, I had mentioned that the only way I could get over my brief numbness was by finding that inspiration myself. And what Can I say I seem to have found it, in my Favorite place yet again! My MUSIC!


Music is a wonderful means of connecting with the ONESELF and with the SUPREME POWER. What One cannot express through words can be easily done through music. Listening to music with closed eyes, makes us appreciate it as an expression and celebration of the Omnipotent.

Clearly my life seems to be easily adjusting and moving towards scenarios worth have Background music and while in this subconscious search I stumbled upon the soundtrack of this Hindi Film which i will be writing about today.

The Track playing in my Appa's Car was Different! Despite asking him over and over again, which movie's song that was, he refused to tell, he said GUESS! And all of us spend the rest of the 4 minutes of song thinking of all the possible possibilities. And just as the song was about to end, I said "ROCKSTAR?" and Appa Smiled and So Did I!! A Big Broad Smile!



Why? Well, It isn’t that often that you get to listen to *Fresh* Music composed by the MAN, AR Rahman. He is something ELSE! The very fact that He elects his projects very carefully and does such few movies, everyone begins to keep an eye OUT for it or rather a EAR OUT for it!

Despite the Movie being called ROCKSTAR, there is just one song that truly is a ROCK anthem! And for this I am thankful, I am not much of a rock person and I was pleasantly surprised listening to this magnificent blend of minimal ‘rock’, phenomenally evocative numbers ranging from folk, sufism, and alternating to electro-pop and some gypsy pieces as well!!! And let me add it is an absolute DELIGHT! 

There’re so many delicate nuances, turns, bends and beautiful undertones in all its 14 songs, that its just not possible to JUDGE or pass a decision in ONE go! What it does is demand attention, time and an extra effort! With no remixes or reprises to speak of, it is most definitely MY dream album. The richness of the album lies in its details, and if you play the tracks nonchalantly, without paying much of attention to it, you will MOST certainly miss out. But if you like me, will keep listening to the album over and over again, you will undoubtedly fall in LOVE and will in turn be highly rewarded!

Mohit Chauhan is BRILLANT! His voice is like silk and oozes flair without ever over exaggerating or over powering. The Beauty of his voice and the emotions is clearly seen in Aur Ho. AAR has yet again managed to bring out the haunting and traumatic beauty of *Satrangi re* from Dil se. The passion, the pain, the helplessness and the general feel of this song stays with you long long after you have heard it! It's a CLASS apart!

The Paradoxical Sheher Mein is a beauty… I am partial to this particular number partially because this was the song that got me introduced to the album. It's a song within a song and Chauhan’s voice dominates and flows in the most beautiful fashion.

The opening song, Phir Se Ud Chala… is a quintessential Rahman number with wide soundscenery, lots of textures, timber and fragile harmonies. Towards the end, it routes into the electro-pop realm effortlessly and even without us knowing.

Another one of my favorites is the quirky, almost fairytale like Hawaa Hawaa… that features gypsy music with bits of flamenco is pleasantly surprising and perhaps the best eccentric number.

Other memorable tracks include the evocative Kun Faya Kun… a peaceful and melodic qawwali number sung by Rahman, Javed Ali and Mohit Chauhan. Jo Bhi Main… takes the psychedelic route and takes you to a different world altogether!

Nadaan Parinde, has some very interesting lyrics which can be interpreted in multiple fashions and if listened to careful, will definitely tug you heart strings… Tango For Taj another gypsy track with Spanish guitar and foot tapping beats.

AAR's music is beautiful reflection of *Slow and Steady wins the race* He is absolutely in no hurry! Listen to the Album like I did, without listening to anything else and let the magic unfold and take over you! Let loose and You will LOVE it! AAR has an iron grip over all the very nuances of the soundtrack and it clearly emits its brilliancy and reestablishes his power, persona and stature in the industry!

Never Once, has AAR, ever created a song that instantly catches the attention of one and all, he creates music that grows on you, and once it does its absolutely difficult to let go! This one is definitely all set to be a CLASSIC!

“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and right doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

No comments: