Monday, April 19, 2010

Sleep... Oh! How I detest those little slivers of death!!

Ma, why do I have to go to bed so early? Its only 10pm!!! I can’t go to sleep this early!

Well Yup, My relationship with SLEEP, has not been a very cordial one! I always hated Sleeping. I mean, as it is we have a very short life span and soooo many many things to do. Then how in the world can we waste so much of our time sleeping!! When I was three year old and I was told to go to bed, Appa says I used to create such a huge fuss each night, and they had to forcefully put me to bed… Lol… Those were the days!!

Cut 2 –

I’m 23 and I can stay up late if I want, not sleep even. Oh my God Mum would freak out if she reads this, wont she!! LOL!

But seriously think about it, we spend nearly one third of our lives doing it, and yet, some of us never seem to be able to get enough of it. People all over the world don’t receive enough sleep whether it’s from a medical condition like narcolepsy, or simply not having enough time in a day.

The effects of getting a good night’s rest are essential and signs of sleep deprivation are not as hard to spot as one may think. Dark Circles, Puffy Eyes, lethargic body and droopy moods are a common phenomenon. Turning up at the Office looking like half dead pale zombies is not exceptional as well. :P

Sleeping is like a necessary evil for me… When I have to sleep, 100’s of things go through my head! I am always scared I wont have time to do these things if I sleep, But I have to… sleep has it own way of doing things…Eyes closing on their own, Neck drooping, hands and legs feeling powerless and more, all force me to SLEEP, though I hate doing sooo.. :S

Sleeping is like a partial death… Nope, I am serious, that’s exactly why the Savasana “Corpse Pose" the yoga asana, is the name given to the asana which is often used to begin and conclude a yoga session. It is a relaxing posture intended to rejuvenate body, mind and spirit, see the same as SLEEPING. But look at the name of the asana??
I am a light sleeper as well, if that helps!! I can wake up at the slightest of sounds/light or anything for that matter, which is great in turns of not wasting time sleep, but is horrible in terms of the fact that a dissected sleep can ruin one’s mood completely and entirely.

You snooze, you lose. It’s a catchy phrase!!! But sleep is not an optional enterprise, Quite Unfortunately!!! All mammals do it. So do birds, reptiles, and even fruit flies. Rats deprived of sleep apparently die faster than those deprived of food. In spite of these astounding facts, we know precious little about the purpose that sleep serves for us. Why do we sleep?

To understand this in simple terms, let us think of our bodies as a car. I presume everyone here owns a car, now you will all know that no car can keep going and going without a break. In case the car or the body (in the bigger picture) does not have its breaks then it will be FORCED to take a BREAK!! Refer SICK blog!! :P

Sleep is also the time when OUR body does most of its repair work, I guess; muscle tissues are rebuilt and restored. We know, for example, that growth hormone is secreted during sleep. But I guess, I CAN most definitely skip that (GROWING stuff has to END noo??), Cant I???

Having said all this and more, I still believe that Eight hours of sleep a day seems like a colossal waste of time, Right ya? After all, in the hectic world we live in, those precious hours could be put to use responding to all those E-mails, Blogging or hitting the spa. Right??

No comments: