Monday, May 30, 2011

Theen Fantastic Galtiyan!

Though in my yesterday's entry I had mentioned that I buy a Book every month, lately it has been getting increasingly difficult to do so thanks to Mum being frantic about not having enough SPACE to keep them! In fact she even suggested, “Why don’t you give some of your books away so that we can get some space to get new Books?” GASP! That is THE most shocking thing ever! Give away you mean, Part with these priced Books of Mine… No Never… then how in the world will I make my Grand library and cherish all of it at the ripe old age of 65!

Convincing my Mum, is not EASY but being her daughter I have a few tricks up my sleeve and using these very techniques and also giving her the opportunity to pick this Month’s Book, she agreed! :D And she picked the The 3 Mistakes of my Life by Chetan Bhagat.

                                              

YES!! He is the same guy who had been in the News for his tiff with the Makers of 3 Idiots… More importantly he is the one who has written “5 point someone” and “One night @ the call centre”. He is also one fellow Tweeter whom I follow very ardently considering he almost always manages to crack me up and also writes extraordinarily!

His “5 point someone” was a Massive rage and so was the adaptation of his Book, which connected glamorously well with the youth of the nation. Every young Indian saw a glimpse of themselves in the characters of Hari, Ryan and Alok. Even after years of its publication, the book is being taken of the shelves like steaming cupcakes! That been said I need to buy that Book, and add to my collection Now.. Uhmm... I am NOT particularly a Fan on Indian writers, maybe because some of them get me to attached to it or maybe because some of them, I am not quite able to digest most of the happenings in it… At least when the book has been penned down by a non Indian writer and I come across something difficult to digest I can always get away with the excuse of having cultural differences and not think about it that much. But where do I hide when the writer in an INDIAN, with modern sensibilities and with a strong exposure to the non Indian sensibilities?

His second book “One night @ the call centre” was a jab at night life at call centres. Again young people and especially call centre “junta” related to it pretty easily as the book provided a peek into their work life! I for one didn’t connect with the book, but I got to get an inside look at their lives and fell in love with his casual, cool and sarcasm laced writing style! The Hindi film adaptation of the same was a Much poorer and Horrid version to say the least!

It was expected that after 2 bestselling books that a lot was expected from The 3 Mistakes of my Life. So how did this book fare on those expectations? So what is this Book’s specialty? Does Chetan manage to engage his readers once again? Is anyone special targeted this time around?

What strikes one first about Chetan Bhagat’s novels is the fact that this author writes about Indians and for Indians. His characters are YOUNG, Overtly ambitious and passionate and have the same Moral, Social, Ethical and Religious dilemmas as many young Indians today….

The setting is the city of Ahmedabad that though being urban is yet not as metropolitan as many of its metro counterparts. It retains its small town flavour in colonies, traditional Indian households, closed set Mentality and small vegetarian eateries.

The book is apparently based on real life events. It begins in a dramatic enough fashion with Bhagat receiving an e-mail from the Main protagonist of the book who had taken some serious steps to end his sufferings and his life along with it as well… An obviously shaken Bhagat, takes the first flight down to track down the boy and no more. The book is loosely based on the three mistakes Govind, the Main protagonist, made in his life.

The Book has Govind, with his passion and acumen for accounts and business, it has Ishan for whom cricket is the element around which his life revolves and it has Omi, a priest’s son and loyal friend who is ready for anything that his friends are game for.

What follows is a mix of cricket, religion, business, love and friendship. A thrilling, energetic, passionate, surprising and Masala filled, spicy Hot seller! Yes, a fantastic read!

When I first started reading it, I wasn’t to too happy. The reason being I am so used to seeing foreign locales in movies, reading about them in my books, and in my dreams that when I was pulled down to Ahmedabad and its gullis, I was a bit aghast, but Bhagat didn’t have to wait for long to get my FULL and UNDIVIDED attention! :D

With his Books, Bhagat has received his biggest compliment ever! In fact it is the biggest compliment any author can receive… It’s not when New York Times or the Times of India describes him as the biggest selling English language author in India or when he crosses the coveted two million book sales’ figure, or when his Books get made into Movies… but when someone chooses to remember him in his last few minutes, that makes a writer go beyond the ordinary. Yes Extraordinary! After all, isn’t the purpose of ALL writing to touch someone’s heart? :D :D

“The 3 mistakes of my life” is written simply and has the quality that makes one want to read the book cover to cover in one sitting!! It’s a Blockbuster, with every bit of everything to make it an absolute DELIGHT!

2 comments:

viv said...

Hehe....I remember purchasing the same book "The 3 mistakes of my life" about a year ago without realizing the fact that its not the novel based on the movie " 3 idiots". Guess thats the 1st mistake of my life.........but a darn good one :D (Worth a read)

Neelanchana Kumar said...

LOL! Can Imagine... I know of quite a few ppl who thot the same! I reckon its the Numeric Connection! :P