Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The ART of Story Telling…

In aankhon ki masti ke
Aah.. aah… aah… aah
In aankhon ki masti ke mastaane hazaaron hain
Mastaane hazaaron hain…………

How can one not be a fan of Shahryarji for these mesmerizing lyrics, Khaiyyam Saab for this breathtakingly haunting tune and the eternally beautiful Rekhaji for adding the much needed poetic magnificence to this melody? It's JUST not possible that one can escape from the clutches of this masterpiece.

I was way too small when I first heard this tune and more than anything else, at that time, I was smitten by Rekhaji's grace, poise and beauty. I wanted to watch it again and again and then I wanted to emote like her, DANCE like her and MESMERMIZE like her…

It was an extremely gradual process for me, after having learnt Bharatnatyam, a bit of Kuchipudi and a speck of Mohinaattam, it was decided (by ME) that I was destined to learn the other SEVEN classical dances as well… Quite natural I say!

I give Full credit to Rekhaji for having given me my first taste of KATHAK. Just as Rekhaji's eyes, lips, face, hands and legs along with Shahryarji's Lyrics and Khaiyyam Saab music unfolded a heartbreakingly splendid "Katha" for us, Kathak also does the same.

Jo Katha Bole so Kathak, that’s the basic and the most pure essence of this Classical Dance. My happiness knew no bounds when I got to know of a Kathak teacher in Dubai, and what joy that she actually stays very close to my home (and now she resides in my Heart!!). My Kathak teacher Shrimati Ketaki Hazra is a woman par excellence. She has the Mental strength of the size of a mountain and is most softest person I know.

For Ma'am dance is a way of life, a matter of faith and belief, nurtured and enriched by the souls of her very own students. A perfect performer, she was, throughout her dance career as well as a perfect human being. She is always the centre of attraction. People gather around her to be educated by the words of wisdom and knowledge, to be touched by her warmth, her laughter, her passion and her beauty. She has done her degree in dance from the Calcutta Academy and is now a PhD examiner for Kathak. She has been training young talents in Dubai since 1984 and since 1987 been conducting Annual Dance recitals. For the last 5 years I have had the wonderful opportunity to be a part of her life.

A little bit of information about this Art form, Kathak in its lifetime has seen many ups and downs, whether it is imbibing the Mughal traditional practices or following the British legislative policies, Kathak and Kathaka's have tried to look at the positive of the majority such invasions. Music and dance were used by story tellers to illuminate the story while attacking the sensibilities of the audience. Around the 15th century or so, the dance form underwent a drastic transition due to the influence of Mughal dance and music. By the sixteenth century, the tight churidar pyjama, that we can now see being used in most movies having a ghazal song being interpreted, became the staple attire of a Kathak dancer.

Kathak focuses more on Tatkars (Footwork), extensive footwork as compared to the hasta mudras in Bharathnatyam or the fast paced jathi's of Kuchipudi or the extremely sensuous smooth flowing lines in Mohinaattam. The dances are performed straight-legged and the ghungroos worn by the dancers are adeptly controlled. Most Kathak performances see an extremely entertaining and crisp Sawal Jawab session, wherein the dancer competes or rather tries to match up (As I would like to think) with musicians (especially the tabla player). The costumes and themes of these dances are often similar to those in Mughal miniature paintings.

The constant pain in my knees are a gift thanks to an on stage accident while performing from my favorite sitting chakkars. The chakkars form yet another important crucial backbone to a Kathak performance along with the sitting chakkars. The twirls are the speciality of a Kathak. I have seen certain Kathak enthusiasts being able to pull off more than 100 chakkars at a go, My Ma'am could also do the same once. If it weren’t for those all those dreadful accidents and misfortunes, my beloved ma'am would still be dancing, walking and most importantly happy!! But what the hell… Everything happens for a reason and there is GOOD in every Action. Isnt it??Like me meeting ma'am.... practicing Kathak under her and basically finding each other!!!

Ma'am always asks me "Kaise tumne aise mera dil CHURA liya??" ... Dearest Ma'am, Maine app ka Dil nahin chura, maine tho sirf Mere Dil aapko diya hai… Kathak ko diya hai!

2 comments:

Chris said...

Hi, I am looking for a Kathak teacher and liked your blog post. Is your teacher still based in Dubai and if yes, how can I contact her? I really want to learn Kathak.

Thanks!!

Neelanchana Kumar said...

Hey!!

Thank you! Yes Ma'am is still in town and will soon be conducting a show... U can give her a call on 04 - 3965205 or 050 - 5884071.

Let her no that *Neelu* (That would be me) had given you her contact. She would want to know!

All the very best! hope to see you perform! :d

Cheers